Topic: statistical correlator

I am comparing results from IMCORR and COSI-Corr's statistical correlator from a pair of Landsat 5 images. The two give different results using similar parameters. Via the published literature I understand quite well how IMCORR works, but I have found nothing describing how COSI-Corr's statistical correlator works, so I cannot explain why they give differing results. Can anyone tell me if COSI-Corr's statistical correlator uses the same algorithm as IMCORR, and/or if COSI-Corr calculates the peak of the correlation differently than IMCORR? This may help explain the differences in the results between the two feature tracking programs.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Re: statistical correlator

Dear Jamie,

COSI-Corr calculates the correlation peak simply using the absolute value of the correlation coefficient formula. Then the correlation peak is interpolated using a quadratic polynomial for sub-pixel accuracy. We haven't put much effort into the statistical correlator, it's mostly provided as a sanity check or if images are very noisy. The frequency correlator should give you better results in general.

Sebastien

Dear Sebastien,

Could you let me know what is the oversampling factor used in the statistical correlator? I need this parameter in my analysis.

Thanks.
Luyi

Dear Luyi,

The statistical correlator does not use oversampling.

Sebastien

5 (edited by LuyiSun 2016-04-06 07:58:03)

Sebastien_Leprince wrote:

Dear Luyi,

The statistical correlator does not use oversampling.

Sebastien

Dear Sebastien,

Sorry I misunderstood the procedure. As you mentioned in this post "Then the correlation peak is interpolated using a quadratic polynomial for sub-pixel accuracy" , I wonder what accuracy (fraction of pixel) it can achieve in the Cross Correlation?

Thanks,
Luyi

The statistical correlator wasn't really optimized for subpixel accuracy and the simple interpolation we performed gives an accuracy which is usually around 1/4-1/3 of the pixel size. It does show some staircase biases at the subpixel level. The frequency correlation was optimized for subpixel accuracy.

Sebastien